The author rides a 2008 Victory Vision Tour

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Winter motorcycling

scenic-motorcycle-route
In the Northwest, if you don't get out in cool weather you don't motorcycle much at all. I love my heated gloves and vest: they keep me toasty on those days in December and February when it's beautiful out but only around 50 degrees F. Next motorcycle is gonna have heated grips I think...

I want to pick up motorcycle commuting to work again as soon as its comfortably above freezing in the early morning. I rode daily until early December, but then the snows came and...back into the steel cage commute. Spring is on the way, and its tempting to motorcycle to work again. I've got a 24 mile commute each way, and cruising on two wheels to and from work is way better for my psyche. The afternoons have been into the 50s which is plenty comfortable with my cold-weather motorcycle gear. BUT, the mornings: I don't want to mess with coming across some frosty pavement as I lean into a turn, just not worth the risk.

Lava Java. Went out for an hour motorcycling excursion last Saturday. Sunny and beautiful out, but barely into the 50s. After about 40 minutes I was still warm, but my partner was ready for some hot coffee. That's what excursions end up being for me most of the time in the winter: Taking the long way to my favorite coffee shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment