The author rides a 2008 Victory Vision Tour

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Motorcycles hate stoplights (who doesn't)

pacific-northwest-motorcycle-roadsscenic-motorcycle-route
Why is it that this county can't see the value in timing stoplights? Motorcycles, cars, we all would benefit from a little effort spent on some common sense light timing. And don't even think about running that light. Most of my commute to work is on State Highway 503. That's right it's a HIGHWAY. But cars have to get in from the side streets, so we have traffic signals. Every morning, I motorcycle along to the first light I encounter at main street of a small town. No big deal, it's Main street so I don't mind stopping. From there though, no sooner do you get up to the speed limit of 55 than the next signal, roughly a mile down the HIGHWAY, turns red. My motorcycle and the four or five other vehicles that were just a moment ago doing 55 brake to a stop. One car pulls out onto the highway and joins us on the commute. We all get up to 55 or so and boom, the next light maybe two miles down the HIGHWAY turns red. By now my motorcycle has six or so commute companions, and we all brake to a stop. One car pulls out onto the HIGHWAY. This scene repeats itself four or five times on an eight mile stretch of HIGHWAY, every day Monday through Friday, all year long. Absolutely ridiculous. I have tried going slower, going faster, there is no way to beat it. Now I just start slowing down if I even see lights approaching the HIGHWAY on a side street up ahead. At least I don't have to brake as hard.
Solution: Put a couple sensors under the pavement, make side-street guy wait a few extra seconds until a slug of cars and motorcycles goes by, and THEN turn the light. Just imagine how much less gas, motorcycle wear-and tear, greenhouse gases, and frustration there would be. Multiply this effect every day, on hundreds or thousands of roads without synchronized signals, and you can easily see the potential for savings. There, I feel better already!

No comments:

Post a Comment