The author rides a 2008 Victory Vision Tour

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Heated motorcycle gloves or heated grips? Part II

scenic-motorcycle-route

Every motorcycle rider has had cold hands at one time or another. Keeping the hands warm can make your motorcycle riding more comfortable (and thus more fun) and extend your motorcycle riding season. But which is better? Heated motorcycle gloves or heated grips? I've used them both, and the verdict is....

Heated motorcycle grips: Are they worth the bucks? I have heated grips on my Victory and swear by them. They have a low and high heat position: the high can be too warm but I just flex my hands and loose my grip and they instantly cool a bit. Typically I set the heat and go, no fuss when I stop and hop off the bike like I had with my Widder wired gloves. Heated grips beat heated gloves:

Pros: No wires, batteries, connectors to mess with. Do not underestimate this advantage!

Pros: Easy to adjust heat while riding the motorcycle. Too hot, flex your hands open on the grips. Too cold, well most heated grips crank out more than enough heat to do the job.

Pros: No bulky wired gloves required for cold weather riding.

Cons: Hard to keep your thumb warm because the hand position on the motorcycle grips tends to keep one's thumb slightly off the heated surface. Adjustment while riding to touch my thumbs to the grip works.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment