The author rides a 2008 Victory Vision Tour

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Victory Vision gas tank adventure II

scenic-motorcycle-route Not a happy thought knowing gas is dripping on your engine and pipes while you ride. This is a major issue (see previous blog post) So the company clearly had issues with this tank and cap, enough to address them in the manual. And I didn't really wanna end up like this guy ---> The only thing left to figure out was could I get a fix for the problem.  

Does the manufacturer have to tell you about a problem? 

 

If the item is a recall of course the company must notify owners and advise them to bring in their machines for a repair. But what if the item is a level below recall? Then the company usually waits until owners bring up a known problem, and will (sometimes) advise them that the item is a warranty repair. When I brought up my gas leak issue several times with my local Victory service guys I got several responses: First, I asked if there was a different gas cap that would solve the problem, and was told that yes there was but that it might or might not be a warranty item. No information was volunteered about a warranty repair. Next I was told that the company had determined that the leaks were caused by motorcyclists damaging the flange at the gas tank opening while refueling. Implication was if I wanted a fix, it was on me. 

Maybe I can live with it.... 


It was about a year until I brought up the problem again with Victory.  (I KNOW! How could I put off getting this fixed? Well, my work-around was to only add a couple gallons to the tank at a time, never filling it more than half-full. What a pain, but combined with carefully seating the cap on the tank it mitigated the problem most of the time. )

Finally a shop with a helpful service guy! 


Maybe over time the company changed the way it handled this issue. Maybe the shop I went to next was flat-out superior. Because the next time I brought up the issue was with a different shop, and I learned that the problem was common and entire gas tanks were being replaced and that it likely would be a warranty item. This guy took down my info and researched it and reported back that indeed it was covered under my warranty! They would replace the tank and I would only be on the hook for a $50 co-pay. What a relief, and I now have the new tank. Next blog post will detail my experience with the new tank and if it fixed the leak problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment